Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Interview: NIC BILLINGTON


I know I told you guys that I would post only one interview per month this year, but I just couldn't resist posting only 12 interviews with so many fresh, intersting and talented people around the world. Now, I will post an interview every 2 weeks. The first one was about Panamanian singer, Alejandro Lagrotta. Thank you all for your comments.
Right now I introduce you a great South African musician which is improving his path every day. He did some great music video covers from "Piece Of Me" (Britney Spears), "Apologize" (One Republic), "Say It Right" (Nelly Furtado), among others. His single "Hazard" appeared at Trevor Williams compilation album: "Late Night Vibe Vol. 2" which features some of the finest singles in South Africa.

Full Name: Nic Billington
Age: 24
Hometown: Durban, South Africa
Occupation: Musician

1. Why did you choose the YouTube covers-way rather than immersing in this huge music industry doing your own music?
Well, I started doing the YouTube covers for fun. I never really thought of it as a career move until I noticed the response that I started receiving from the videos. I saw it as a great platform to gain exposure and to develop my skills as an artist/ producer. Everything else that comes with it is just a bonus.

2. I know you’ve been working on your debut LP already. Could you give me a sneak peak of it; like track names, tentative release, producers, duets, etc.?
I’m still in the early stages of making my album so I don’t want to give away too much at the moment. I’ve been experimenting with a lot of electronic pop and dance music. One of my most resent tracks that I’ve just done is called “Abuse it”. It’s a very catchy dance track with an awesome baseline. You can expect a few singles from me in 2009.

3. I love your futuristic video-concepts. Are you involved in all the direction/production process of them?
Actually, I’m involved in every aspect of the production as I do everything myself. Once the song is completed, I listen to it a few times and come up with a concept for the video. I plan everything from the location to the wardrobe, and once the video is shot I do all the editing as well. It’s a very lengthy process but I enjoy it.

4. Tell me more about your music. When did you started doing it and who do you think are your best influences?
I wrote my very first song when I was thirteen years old and I’ve been hooked on song writing ever since. When I was little, my family always had the radio blasting in our house, so I think growing up in that environment influenced my musical tastes. It was a combination of UB40, Prince, Bob Marley, Depeche Mode and Madonna. I now consider artists like Britney Spears, Linkin Park and Flash Republic as huge inspirations.

5. Is there any advice you could give to young people trying to have success in music, acting, fashion and sports industry? How can they handle with the pressure and frustration of not having a quick success?
I always say that the only person out there that can limit you is yourself. If you truly want something, you have to go out there and earn it. Success won’t come overnight, but if you keep working towards your dreams, you’ll receive success sooner than you think. Things will knock you down from time to time but you just have to stay strong, learn from your mistakes and move on.

Other things about you:
1 virtue: I’m very open minded and always eager to try new things
1 flaw: I tend to worry about unnecessary things from time to time.
1 song: Vast - Touched
1 color: Red
1 book: The Secret
1 movie: Quarantine
1 hero: Eric Cartman
1 last thing you wanna say: Don’t regret what you do, regret what you don’t do.
btw, check out www.nicbillington.com!

Thank you so much for your time Nic, I hope you the best and please don't ever give up to your dreams, too!
I'll leave you with a music video he did featuring Krystle. It is a cover from Britney Spears hit "Piece Of Me". ENJOY!

5 comments:

EnmanuelMC said...

De donde sacaste esto..
No te creo ke tu lo hayas entrevistado.
PLAGIARISM IS WRONG.

Anonymous said...

Hiiii =) weno im very curious , como llegaste a hacer el interview? did you send like an email to the webpage or what? ahhaha , he sounds a little like lady gaga but a men version =) xD .
awesome =)
hope u're good !

megat said...

Hi!! Your blog are very nice and more info. I hope follow my blog and please click my google ads

Josh Diaz said...

i know him from facebook and it's not plagiarism enmanuel, don't be so stupid.

Nadia Hearts Music said...

Will you update soon? Hows college?